Friday, January 30, 2009

The storm settles

Hi guise, welcome to day 5 of the program. Today I want to address a number of things, each of about equal importance, depending on your point of view. See what I did there? Yes indeed, I didn't say shit. It's awesome to recover your higher brain functions after occupying them for years with just e-peen fantasies about engineering vehicles and ueber epix.

First thing I want to do is thank Sis/Radagaest of Turalyon EU for his mention of my blog somewhere on Serenity's guildforum. It's really cool to know that people read the stuff I wrote. Sis also deserves a mention for his bold statement that "Real men play female night elves." Even though his hunter is a fat dorf.

Sis says "sometimes wow feels like an addiction, that takes far too much time, but I always compare to people who watch the tv all evening, any morpg will beat that imo."

The key to this statement, for me, is not the comparison between tv and mmo-gaming, because I feel the same about that. Tv is overrated crap, best used to pacify my daughter. Mmo gaming is more social, more interactive and above all, it doesn't shut down your brain, it activates it.

The downside is that I can turn off the tv after watching two shows. I've hardly ever watched tv for more than three hours, and I'm pretty damn sure most of us have spent double, possibly triple that time (AV WEEKEND BITCHEZZ) playing WoW. Which brings me to the key of Sis' statement: the time spent on WoW. Somehow this game manages to convince you that you have time for just one more heroic, or one more daily, or one more try on that boss.

I'm going to be simpel about this: don't hate the game, hate the playa. Every human being is responsible for his/her own actions and, adults that we are, lolol, we should be able to manage our own time, right? I'm gonna leave it at this, love to pick it up later and have some other peoples' views on this.

Point two: after a week of not playing I can safely say that playing WoW has no influence whatsoever on domestic peace and quiet. I came home today and found one wife, up to her neck in dinner preparations, one baby wrapped closely around her, screaming her lungs out (the baby, not my wife), and one toddler trying to outdps the baby, volume-wise. So WoW or no WoW, kids will be kids and have their days. And, mor noticeably, their off-days.

What WAS different was my response. Instead of my usual sighs and self-pity (omg I've worked for hours why can't I come home to a NICE place blabla) I just came in, parked my bike, made my way to the kitchen, said hi to my woman, picked up the eldest and started playing with her, ending her assault on our senses in around five minutes. Booyah! I rock at parenting.

Not having the pressure of doing dailies or being online on time for a raid helps me when it comes to stuff like that, I think.

Point number three: I finally managed to memorize my new mobile phone number, that I have only had for like two years. Whether this is related to the aforementioned recovery of higher brain functions is open to debate.

I'd like to end this post with a honourable mention for my lovely wife. She has quit the game as well leaving behind two lovely shamans and a seriously hot dwarf hunter babe. No matter what I do, she has my back, and realizing that just makes so goddamn proud of all we've done together the last few years.

I'm off to enjoy my family, seeya!

No comments:

Post a Comment