Friday, April 3, 2009

Maybe the best game ever is a bit to good

Since I quit WoW, I've never once checked BigRedKitty. I knew that his enthusiasm and light-hearted manner were just the sort of thing that would make me feel comfy about playing again, which is the last thing I need. Well guess what; he's quitting.

I'm not going into details, you can read what you need to know straight from the dwarfs' mouth here. If memory serves me right, Resto4life went through something similar a while back. Hell, I went through something like that a while back. Yeah for sure I did. Did you really think I woke up one morning and thought: "What a fecking great day, let's quit the best game ever."

No, it wasn't quite like that at all. I was in a deep deep dip at that time. I don't think Owlet ever got around to making plans to leave me, but she'd have had every right to do so back then. Back then...only two months ago. I'm not saying WoW could have wrecked my marriage. But I'm pretty sure I could have, if I hadn't been smart enough to see the writing on the wall:



Yes, WoW promises more cake than GlaDOS ever could, yet delivers even less.

Which leads me too defend the game more than crucify it. It's a work of such magnitude. In game terms, in programming terms and in terms of infrastructure. But above all, a victory for the gaming industry. I don't think any other product can boast to have so many people devoting so many hours to it. It's the cutting edge of user-milking, of carrot-on-a-stick tactics to keep the gamer interested, and frustrated, and NEARLY IN REACH of the ever-elusive Cake.

You can't win the race. But you don't have to run it.

5 comments:

  1. Tbh, WoW promises cake and it delivers. With cake being something interesting and fun to do, wow offers a neverending supply of cake. Whether the person can know their limit or not is their own problem. If not, he/she is going to be lieing flat on his/her back, being sick because he/she ate too much cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, no.

    The Cake as featured in Portal is the ultimate reward. The fun that you mention in WoW does not come from achieving that ultimate reward, because there is none. Just like in Portal, or real life, for that matter.

    Once you realize that all WoW is going to give is crumbs, than the fun dissapears really fast.

    Your statement is valid ofcourse, for your definition of cake. But it wasn't what I meant in this entry, so therefore the correction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reward is a weird thing.. gameplay can be a reward, winning (or losing) an awesome pvp match can be a reward.. But i agree: this game is pretty well designed and dangerous as hell for some.

    I am in the process of quitting myself btw, and can relate to a lot that's in this post. I can say i was ever really addicted, but i can say that there were times i treated this game as 'the easy way out' and that is something that can be dangerous for me.

    ReplyDelete