Thursday, April 23, 2009

Real Life is Serious Business (part 1)

A little billing issue with Blizzard reminded me of how long I haven't played World of Warcraft, three months, give or take a few days. Three months seems like a long time. But since I was going through my payment history anyway, I decided to dig up when my account was created.

June 2005.

Bloody hell. That's almost four years. So all of a sudden, three months doesn't mean that much anymore. Or does it? I'm afraid it does. I may be done with WoW, in fact, I'm pretty sure of that. But that doesn't mean that my love for the MMORPG genre is gone. To be completely straight, I HAD no love for MMORPGs until I picked up WoW. Before Warcraft, I lived my gaming life by this motto: "I play games to escape reality and all the retards in it, why the hell would I want to join the same retards in a game, and pay monthly for the privilege as well?" I now know the answer, because it's fun, there is no AI that could substitute the erratic human mind, and because most people are not, contrary to what I thought, retards. Barrens excluded, natch.

So while Warcraft is a closed chapter (well, book) the story of the MMORPG-fever in 4701s brain goes on. I tried several mmo-games during and after WoW; including Warhammer, EVE, Spellborn and even Istaria (get vista supported you cocks.)None of them appealed to me the way World of Warcraft did. Not back then, anyway. I was still caught up in the way WoW works, and there was little room in my head for something else. But I quit WoW, and the last lingering aromas of that sweet sweet game are fading. My mmo-nose can pick up other smells again, not just Blizzard-scented ones.

Which smell proved to be strongest, and whether it was strong enough to seduce me back to mmo-land is something for part 2...

3 comments:

  1. Olbas oils... they'll clear your nostrils for some serious sniffing.

    (PS.. Just posting to prove I read these. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just replying to prove I read comments.

    ReplyDelete