Sunday, February 22, 2009

Almost there

It's the 22nd today, which means I'm two more days away from being WoWless for one month. I'm certain that I won't log on that very same day and start playing again. How can I be so certain? Let me explain.

I downed the free Spellborn mmo-game yesterday. It looks like the offspring WoW and Fable would have had after a short but incredibly steamy one-night stand. Well, Fable would approach it that way, WoW would probably have been grinding its way towards that night at least one month in advance. Anyway, Spellborn looks nice and play decent enough. But when I was running through one of the starting areas' lovely forests, it dawned on me:

"Young Bears slain 1/10"

HANG ON. This is going to take ages. Again. Yes it'll feel epic when you enter a new zone, but whetehr you're killing bears or Laquan'Tcha-pa-kai worker drones, 10 bears is still ten bears. Or Laquan'Tcha-pa-kai Worker Drones. After playing some single player RPG's (old stuff, Morrowind and NWN2) the total lack of pace that characterizes an epic mmorpg (epic as in big, yo) became glaringly obvious. Now I'm no fool and I understand that the businessmodel of an mmorpg demands that progress is that slow (more time played=more monthly fees)but I doubt I am willing to spend that much time again.

My old Morrowind main had 86 hours played, and had finished the main quest and almost all guild stuff. My WoW main has liek what, 40 days played? The gap is sizeable. So no more mmo for this man.

PS: the fiction stuff I wrote last time was about what would happen in five years time here in holland if a certain fascist politician would be in charge.

3 comments:

  1. I feel you
    66 days + 68 days + 15 days + 6 days + more time on alts = ~160 days played on a relatively new account (not the one I played preBC or start of TBC).

    Miss ya <3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm.. 31 days played on my account that I started in november.. not counting alts

    ReplyDelete
  3. 101 Days on my 'new' main...
    86 on my old main...
    then there's the 6 alts. :(

    ReplyDelete